Maywood man charged with January murder

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn WhatsApp
Maywood man charged with January murder


MAYWOOD | Maywood Police Chief Val Talley recently commented on a handful of crime-related incidents that have taken place in and around the village over the past several weeks.

Terry L. Gilford, 40, of Maywood was recently arrested by police and charged with one count of first degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting of Garcel L. Woods, 30, also of Maywood.


Terry L. Gilford, 40, of Maywood was recently arrested by police and charged with one count of first degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting of Garcel L. Woods, 30, also of Maywood.

Gilford, who appeared in bond court on March 21, allegedly shot Woods twice while Woods was in Gilford’s residence. Woods died of the wounds, according to police.

Woods’ body was transported and later discovered under the Green Line elevated train track in the 6300 block of S. Parnell Ave. (Englewood) by a citizen walking home between the hours of 11 p.m. Jan. 25 and 12:30 a.m. Jan. 26, according to Chicago Police.

Talley said it didn’t take long to apprehend the suspect.

“Chicago homicide detectives began working the case,” he said. “Once they were able to identify witnesses and make a connection to Maywood, collaboratively we worked and we were able to identify Gilford as a subject. Then we contacted the U.S. Marshal service apprehension unit and they assisted us in getting him.”


Partee Allen, a 35-year-old Maywood resident, was taken to Loyola University Medical Center after he was shot and wounded in the stomach, chest and thigh area around mid-afternoon on March 30.

Police said Maywood police officers responded to a call of Allen being shot in the 600 block of S. 13th Ave. at around 3:35 p.m.

Allen was reported to be in stable condition.

“He’s going to make it,” Talley said. “He’s still in the hospital right now. We’re still doing an investigation.”

Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the police investigation section at 708-450-4452.


Police said the eastbound Eisenhower Expressway was shut down for around four hours after a vehicle heading eastbound on the Eisenhower near 17th Avenue was hit by gunfire coming from another vehicle late Monday night, March 27.

This incident was separate from another shooting that took place earlier in the day on the Eisenhower near Kedzie Avenue in Chicago. In that incident, police said occupants in two vehicles were shooting at each other.

Talley said Maywood police were not involved in the investigation regarding the shooting near 17th Avenue.

“That’s an Illinois State Police purview,” he said. “They were handling it. I haven’t been able to get an update from the regional commander, but we should hear something probably in the next couple of days.”

Talley noted that shootings on, and near, the Eisenhower, have increased in recent years.

“When I first got here, there were 13 shootings,” he said. “Last year there were over 50. All that suggests is what I know that a lot of our politicians like Congressman (Danny) Davis, (Cook County) Commissioner Richard Boykin, and at the time Sen. Mark Kirk, all advocated for strong gun laws for the state of Illinois.”

POLICE CHASE RESULTS IN CRASH news reported that a 22-year-old Chicago man was charged with aggravated fleeing, unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated battery of a police officer following a car chase that started in Chicago and ended in Maywood early Saturday morning, March 25.

The suspect, Kerry Holoman, was stopped for a reported traffic violation, but allegedly refused to provide police his license or proof of insurance. The suspect then allegedly fled in his vehicle and ran over the foot of an officer foot with the vehicle while fleeing.

The suspect proceeded onto the Eisenhower Expressway and headed westbound with police in pursuit. According to the report, the car Holoman was driving crashed in the 1600 block of W. Harrison after exiting the Eisenhower. Police said they discovered that the suspect was carrying a loaded gun following the crash.

“Chicago police chased him all the way to Maywood,” Talley said. “Once the chase ended, then that’s when we were involved. We’re still doing an investigation.”


Talley said there are currently no new leads in the death of 18-year-old Andrew Burnside, the son of Maywood Park District Board President Arnettra Burnside who was fatally shot near 12th Avenue and Warren on Saturday afternoon, Jan. 21.

He said that, according to witnesses, Burnside was at Conner Heise Park on 10th Avenue and Washington Boulevard playing basketball with other youths the day of the shooting. Burnside was shot sometime after he started walking home from the park.

“We’re still conducting an investigation and I’m sure that we’ll get it resolved, just like the incident with Gilford,” Talley said. “Our detectives have a 60 percent success ratio in solving homicides so there’s no doubt. Last year it was 100 percent at solving all the incidences that we had.”


Crime tends to increase as the weather getting warmer, but Talley said he’s hoping to reduce the number of incidents during the upcoming months.

“Right now we have an agreement with Bellwood and Broadview where we have a random of understanding so that we can address crimes in our communities,” he said. “We each dedicate staff to go and conduct things so we’re going to hold a discussion to find out strategy.

“I monitor the activities that go on in Chicago. In the time that I’ve been chief here, things that occur in Chicago seem to have a spillover into Maywood. They had seven homicides in the south shore area (Thursday, March 30). To me, that suggests that there’s going to be an uptick in violent crimes and gun crimes. I have a good relationship with (Cook County) Sheriff (Tom) Dart, and his staff. They’ve been very helpful in the past.”

Related Posts

%d bloggers like this: